Sunday, January 8, 2012

Commitment and Resolution

Happy New Year!

It's been a while since I posted and many of you have asked me about my blog.  So, it is with renewed excitement I write this post today.  Today's topic is Commitment and Resolution.

A commitment, as defined by Merriam-Webster, is: the state or an instance of being obligated or emotionallyimpelled <a commitment to a cause>.  The definition of resolution is the act of analyzing a complex notion into simpler ones, or the act of answering. 

"Emotionally impelled".  Means you need to own it.  You need to be committed to it.  The new year comes and people make resolutions.  Some make resolutions which are so broad they lose sight of what it is they were really trying to achieve in the first place.  Or the resolution is such they set themselves up for failure..."I am going to stop smoking (not me, I don't smoke - I am sighting an example here, work with me), workout 7 days a week, eat no sugar, and stop drinking!"  One thing at a time already!  How are you going to focus on all that at once?  You aren't, not possible.

How about setting yourself up to succeed by making a commitment to yourself to do "X"?  And once you've achieved that, move on to the next thing you want to accomplish.  Part of making a commitment to yourself is finding a solution to your issues.  Break them down in the manageable and achievable goals.  I know a gal who's doing this and I am so proud of her.  It's been one change at a time.  She has her good days and her bad, just like everyone else. But she's doing it.  She's stopped smoking, started running, overcome injury and now is working on her nutrition.  You know who you are by the way, love ya girl!

I made a commitment to myself last fall to change my life.  That goal was way too broad.  I broke my goal down into smaller goals.  The first step was changing jobs and finding a healthy work/life balance.  I gave it a lot of thought and consideration, and I walked away from everything I knew and had done for 23+ years (no cracks about my age here please!).  My new job and schedule affords me the time to get up at a decent hour, eat a little breakfast, get to the gym for a workout, shower and start my work day.  Now I have my evenings to do as I please.  No more 12+ hour work days.  This was HUGE for me!

Who struggles with drinking the recommended 6-8, 8 oz glasses of water per day?  That would be me.  I bought an insulated cup and drink 3 of them filled with ice and water every day.  Moving right along, I started going to the gym at work everyday (Monday - Friday).  I've achieved this almost every week since the first of December.

Next up is a challenge starting the 23rd of this month.  It's a wellness and weight loss challenge through our fitness center at work.  I am on a team with 3 great women, and am looking forward to shedding the weight I need to lose.  Thru a new friendship at work, I am excited about adding running (more like jogging in my case) to my regiment.  Words I never thought would cross my lips by the way!  LOL

Anyone who's read my blog has heard me talk about eating clean.  Well, I'm going to preach this again and try to improve my "say/do" ratio!  This is the one I find hardest for me.  Lord knows I like my Oreo's, Graeter's ice cream, and Five Guys cheeseburgers!  I find myself easily side tracked when it comes to my "diet".   I hate that word by the way, DIET!  You can diet till you're blue in the face and guess what?  Next thing you know, you're right back where you started.  Well, duh Kim Ross!  You have to make a commitment to eat healthier for life, not just however many weeks a diet lasts.  You work you tookus off for weeks and weeks, depriving yourself.  Then it's all done.  You say to yourself "oh, one cookie won't hurt."  Then it's a cheeseburger, and then next thing you know...you are eating crap food again.  You're bringing home junk food, eating it, and feeling crappy.  Diets are self defeating!  You have to commit to eating healthy on the whole and having things you love in moderation.  I can now have a bag of dark chocolate in the house and not gobble it down in a day or two.  Woot woot!  Now that's an achievement!

I have to stop treating my body like a tent and more like the beautiful temple it is!  And that can only be achieved by fueling it with good quality fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean protein.  I have been trying new recipes and things I never thought I'd eat, let alone like!  Guess what?  I really like quinoa.  Have you tried it yet?  Well, you should!  It's delicious, has lots of fiber and protein, and it is great as a salad, used in place of pasta or rice, and it fills you up.  Not to mention, it has a nutty great flavor.

Some friends have shared a couple links I think are definitely worth passing along.  So, here they are:

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/getting-started/  This link offers some good info regarding eating clean and some recipes that look delicious.  I am trying the protein bar one this afternoon and will let you know what I think later.

The next one has some great tips and recipes too.  I made the blueberry smoothie this morning and added a scoop of vanilla protein powder to up the nutritional value and used it as a meal replacement.  It was awesome!  I hope you find these links beneficial.  http://skinnyms.com/blue-paradise-smoothie/

This is totally going to be corny, cheezy, whatever.  I don't care, I'm putting it out there!  Take from it what you will...as I watched the ball drop at midnight on New Years Eve, I had a sense of calm.  A sense of 'ah-ha, I know I can do this'.  It's my time, it's my year!  I am going to work hard, overcome my hurdles, and be the best woman I can be!  You can't change my life for me, but I sure can!  It's mine...I own it.  I am doing this!  It's different somehow this time.  If you fail, dust yourself off and get back to it.  Anyone who's ever tried has failed, but failing is part of the journey.  And I get that now.  (It took you long enough, Kim Ross! LOL)  I now know where my pitfalls and hurdles are, and I've armed myself with the tools I need to over-come them.  You can too, you know!  You just have to dig deep and commit to doing it!  Find your solution.  Find what works for YOU!  Because what works me or someone else, may not work for you.  It's trial and error.  I hope you too will be the best person you can be in 2012 and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment